Queen of the Distracted

Imagine life in a house with 6 kids - now imagine if 5 of those kids and their father have ADD/ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) - that is our house! Welcome to an inside view of my life and our home dominated by ADHD... THERE IS NEVER A DULL MOMENT!

Ladies and Gentlemen! Boys and Girls!

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls!"

Those were our oldest daughter Rachel's first words, from the time she was a toddler she would belt them out proudly standing on the arm of the couch. At the time we had no idea what ADHD was or that it would play such a central roll in our lives.

Since then we have learned a lot, not the least of which is how many individuals and families suffer in silence. We have experienced first hand how misunderstood and misrepresented a disorder can be.

As a family we decided to take action - to risk embarrassment and labeling to get this important message out to the world. Come join our family, share in our lives, and see ADD/ADHD as we see it...
A gift with a heavy price tag.

WELCOME to life in the ADD/ADHD House!

Saturday, April 23, 2011

It's Been Too Long

It seems like forever since the last post.

I have to admit that I have been overwhelmed the last couple of weeks and while I have been writing and have lots to write about (too much really), I have not been finishing them or posting them.  It makes me feel guilty sometimes.  Mostly, because blogging has brought to the forefront of my mind what a perfectionist I am.

Yep, that is right, a perfectionist in a house dominated by ADHD.

Actually, it is a trait that both my husband and I share.  The difference is he is never afraid to act, despite his perfectionism.  I am sure that has a lot to do with impulsiveness and other ADHD traits.  I am always afraid to act, almost paralyzed in the face of things not being perfect.  Really, the translation is, I want everything worded right, I want the right pictures and stories.

It trips me up and as much as it may help me, in certain circumstances, it freezes me in others. 

In the mean time, all these day to day things are happening and I don't get them up. I get a dashboard full of half written posts and you don't get to know the little things.

Like Jaren standing in the front yard with goggles on, shaking his fist at the sky, wooden stake in hand.  Screaming at the top of his lungs, daring the vampires to bring it.  Did I mention it was the middle of the day. 

My daughter keeps telling me I need a Twitter so that I can just post life as it happens.  A constant stream of ADHD.   I haven't decided yet, I am just trying to get the actual Queen of the Distracted website up at the moment.  So we can expand and add some of the features that we have been waiting for the website to add.

In the meantime, there are about four posts almost ready to send out into the world via internet.  So check back often.  Lots has been happening in our family; good, questionable, and crazy.

No comments: