Queen of the Distracted

Imagine life in a house with 6 kids - now imagine if 5 of those kids and their father have ADD/ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) - that is our house! Welcome to an inside view of my life and our home dominated by ADHD... THERE IS NEVER A DULL MOMENT!

Ladies and Gentlemen! Boys and Girls!

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls!"

Those were our oldest daughter Rachel's first words, from the time she was a toddler she would belt them out proudly standing on the arm of the couch. At the time we had no idea what ADHD was or that it would play such a central roll in our lives.

Since then we have learned a lot, not the least of which is how many individuals and families suffer in silence. We have experienced first hand how misunderstood and misrepresented a disorder can be.

As a family we decided to take action - to risk embarrassment and labeling to get this important message out to the world. Come join our family, share in our lives, and see ADD/ADHD as we see it...
A gift with a heavy price tag.

WELCOME to life in the ADD/ADHD House!

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

By The Way...

I have had quite a month or two - it seems like I have done nothing but run and run and RUN!  Mingled with a couple of bouts with the flu and other injuries and accidents.  WOW! It is amazing I am not rocking back and forth under a table somewhere!

In the mean time, I have had all these little things that I have wanted to address but, just haven't had time to.

FIRST AND FOREMOST

I just want to let everyone know that my children are totally aware of what I say about them on this blog and their experiences that I share.  In fact, many, MANY times they are the ones to tell me that different circumstances would be great for the blog!  Some days it is constant barrage and it can get annoying.

Some things are very personal - some embarrassing but, it is important to us that people start to understand this disorder.  We want people to know and understand the struggles, the progress, the thought process.  Really, the only way to do that is to be totally honest about how it effects them and us and all those around. 

For example, when I was writing the last blog I had Mariah read it before I posted it - she reminded me about a few details and added "arrogant" to the list of insults that she threw at her English teacher.  That was a nice moment - I was so happy to add more insults to the list - NOT. 

NO SPONSORS HERE

I read an article recently about popular blogs becoming a business with sponsors and product placements.  I wanted to be clear that we have NO SPONSORS HERE!  If I say that we were at Subway or some other location, it is really just because that is where we were at.  I make no money off of the blog.

Having said that - when we get the website QueenOfTheDistracted.com up and running (hopefully soon) we will have a store on the site.  In the store will be Queen of the Distracted products and other byproducts of our over abundance of creativity which will be available for purchase.  The money we make from the website store will go to maintain the site, add features, fund the documentary and TV Pilot on ADHD that we have been planning for some time now.


www.QueenOfTheDistracted.com

We are making progress towards launching the website.  I am really excited about this!  There will be so much info on the website - much more than we can ever dream of fitting on the blog.  We will have links to helpful ADD/ADHD sites, book recommendations, message/discussion boards, videos, updates on the book, documentary and show, commentary from the kids, and more, more, MORE!

It will not all be up at once but, eventually each section will get launched.

THANK YOU to all that have joined our family journey and have shared the blog with others!

1 comment:

Spike N Tuna Jones said...

How exciting Lisa! may this adventure of yours be blessed!

Tina